Dear Colleagues:
The retreat at the Benedictine Monastery was renewing indeed. John York left behind his copy of Christian History, Issue 93, Winter 2007 on the topic of “A Devoted Life.” If you have not seen or read this issue let me encourage you to get a copy and do so. In addition to the helpful theological, historical and cultural backgrounds to the monastic movement, several of the articles make mention of the challenges of our current culture and why the contemplative life is becoming more and more appealing to individuals.
The managing editor, Jennifer Trafton, makes this comment in her editorial…”In the midst of a frenetic, fragmented culture that glorifies independence, busyness, and material gain, many are seeking out a countercultural lifestyle that values prayer, silence, simplicity, liturgy, hospitality, community, and care for the poor.”
What struck me about her comments was the thought…wasn’t this what the early church was all about? Based on this let me get the conversation going with this question: Do you see the characteristics of culture she has described as infecting the church? If so, how can we, the church, be a countercultural alternative that values the very things she identifies?
1 comment:
Finally! I think I got in. I hope this comment makes it on board. Problem is I don't know what to say except the retreat was great!
It seems that the simple, devotional life mentioned is what we are trying to live out. The counterculture starts with us as individuals as we slow down & rely on God. John's words on Sabbath ring true. I have to learn to practice that rest often, not as a pressure but a gift.
Gary
Post a Comment