The Imitation of Christ
I would suspect that after the Bible, the single most influential Christian devotional work is The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis. Several English editions are now in print and it is recognized the world over as a Christian Classic. It was originally published in 1427, which means it has influenced readers now for 580 years!
Every morning part of my quiet time and contemplative silence is spent before the Lord immersed in Thomas a Kempis’s work. I have been reading it regularly now for twenty years as part of my daily spiritual diet. God has worked on me in unfathomable ways, and of course, He still a lot of work left to do!
This morning’s reading was from Book 2 chapter 8 entitled, “Friends with Jesus/Friendly Conversations with Jesus.” This is such a powerful chapter and it underscores the benefits of living close to our Lord. Listen to this reminder:
“When Jesus is present everything is well and nothing seems difficult, but when Jesus is absent everything is hard.”
Does this ring true for you? The abiding presence of our Jesus seems to make things ok, even those things, circumstances and people that seem to be difficult. I suspect in my own life that the difficulty has always been my attempt to manage, control or change whatever does not fit my fancy.
But the most astounding part of the quote is the second half-- but when Jesus is absent everything is hard.” I know we all have already in one way or another figured this one out. Why is my life hard? Why are my relationships falling apart? Why does nothing seem to work for me? The blame game could stop once and for all if I would just see that when Jesus is absent from my heart, my desires, my intent, and my daily life then the only option left is that things will indeed be hard!
I am especially interested in feedback and conversation with you fellow ministers in how you have found this principle and reality to be true in your daily ministries. And, if it is true that friendship with Jesus is so vital to a faithful, dynamic and life-changing ministry, then why do we push Jesus away with our busyness and wonder why things are hard?
4 comments:
great stuff...I came home very refreshed and ready to go...I am reading and praying through psalms three times a day in my own worship to God...I started a three month sermon series on Worship with 10 songs combined with 6 psalms yesterday at Triangle church...God is good!!...your brother....MM
Mitch:
I am so glad that you came home very refreshed and ready to go. This is what the retreat was designed for. I think you will find yourself being shaped and molded by the Psalms in ways you cannot imagine. What is your emphasis on Worship and what would like to share with the rest of us that you are doing? Yours in Him, Curtis
When I was a teen I got into a car with a cousin who, unbeknown to me, had been smoking pot. He thought he could drive like Emerson Fitipaldi (sp)(dates me) He couldn't. We drove through the downtown of our small town, pop. 700, at more than 100 miles an hour. John's Sausage House, The Red Owl, and Halstein Hardware went by in a blur. It crossed my mind at points where our speed was a bit slower to open the door and jump. I debated grabbing the wheel and hitting the brakes. Neither made good sense. His lack of Fitipaldi finesse became very clear when he tried to make a left turn at that speed. We didn't make it. Neither of us was injured. Guess what? I got out.
Getting home was somewhat similar. Like winding up a toy car from a happy meal, as tight as it can go, setting it on the floor with the wheels spinning wildly and watching it screech off. Usually they crash.
So, this morning the inclination and feeling was to drive on by these words at 100mph and keep on going. After all I already had my time. I mean they are nice thoughts and everything but the wheels are already spinning. By God's blessing I remembered a former time of speed and so I am slowing the car enough and the flow of other thoughts and directions to hear His voice. Actually, I think I finally got myself convinced to stop. I guess even God uses blogs.
Well, God, what do you want me to hear....... Ouch, point #1 hurt a little. "I want you to stop, John. I know you feel the speed is necessary for the day but stop." Ouch, point #2 hurt even worse. "John, this is My day, not yours. I am Lord of the heavens and earth. Do you get where you fit in this equation? If YOU are driving at this speed you will not see Me in the people and labor of the day. I will be a blur. You will think you are alone and that I am not working in the people and circumstances of the day. This is My day John." Point #3 "John stop many times during the day and renew 1-3. It might be smart to review them tomorrow and the next.... Give thanks and You will go through this day with the conscious presence of Jesus in, with and through you, others and circumstances"
Any preacher worth his salt would have added a poem and a prayer at this juncture, but its time to wind up the car. Thankfully with a refreshed perspective. Thanks Curtis.
Hey guys, there is a sign on the road up ahead. It says "Wayside Rest" Stop in, peel your fingers off the the wheel, stretch the legs, get a drink of water and enjoy the scenery. Praying for you.
Hello from the Northwest,
I tend to hesitate on these words. I also grimace a little. Living in the land of only 15-20% churched I find that this has been a battle for years. First, there are many folks who do not accept Jesus who are living moral lives and doing well. That is why they don't feel they need Christianity. This has caused a mental block for Christians trying to share the Gospel with our community. We don't know where to go from here.
Second, there is a lot of suffering for some in Jesus. I think of the many adults who lived in a "Christian" home with abuse, molestation, and dysfunction. I let them know that Jesus was present with them, while he may have been absent from the lives of their oppressors. These adults had left Jesus because it seemed "better outside than inside."
Living in a "post-Christian" world suggests that we not used the older "with Jesus it is good, without it is bad," statements. I think that the Gospels and Epistles didn't use this reasoning (especially Revelation) because they lived in a non-Christian world.
Just my thoughts from working with people out here.
Post a Comment