Monday, July 19, 2010

A CLEAR CONSCIENCE


How much is a clear conscience worth? All of us have done things in the past that bother our conscience. Even when we have made horrible mistakes we desire a clear conscience. For the apostle Paul, a clear conscience was important.

“I thank my God whom I serve with a clear conscience…” (2 Timothy 1:3).

I believe it is significant that Paul begins this part of his thanksgiving in his letter to the young man Timothy with a reference to his clear conscience. I suppose that Timothy had heard many of Paul’s stories about his former way of life. Timothy no doubt heard the stories of Paul’s persecution of Christians and how he thought he was doing God’s will.

But Paul is thankful that he serves God with a clear conscience. I cannot imagine the inner angst for someone who would be serving God with a guilty conscience!

Why is it important to serve God with a clear conscience? I can think of the following reasons:
1. A clear conscience is evidence of God’s grace and forgiveness. No more worrying about guilt and shame.
2. A clear conscience does not have to worry about trying to earn forgiveness. No more trying to convince self by work that something can be done to curry God’s favor.
3. A clear conscience does not have to look over its shoulder. No more paranoia that God or others are out to get you.
4. A clear conscience is the basis of light and free heart to serve. No more burdens and angst of soul. This light-heartedness is the expression of spiritual freedom in Christ!

I wonder if we have not emphasized enough the power of a clear conscience in the sight of God? Because of the power of forgiveness extended to us through the work of Christ at the cross, we can rest in peace at night when we lay our heads down to sleep.

Every aspect of my Christian walk and witness is empowered with God’s presence and His Spirit when I serve God with a clear conscience!

In Christian love, Curtis

No comments: