This morning as I drove to work the most beautiful rainbow appeared in front of me. I was so moved by its distinct bands of coloration and the awesomeness of God’s creation that I turned the radio off. I sang hymns of praise to Almighty God in the car.
So many thoughts were racing through my head at once that I had a hard time sorting them all out. But when I pulled up into the church building parking lot, the rainbow encircled the building and I had an “epiphany” moment. This is what the church is all about.
God’s covenant people are protected by His love, encircled with His presence and claimed as His own. It is this sign of the covenant that marks us as His creation that is loved. In the Bible there are at least 3 major covenant signs initiated by God.
Rainbow for all of humanity
Circumcision for Israel
Baptism for the church
Sadly, too many people not in covenant relationship with God do not appreciate the rainbow nor its theological implications of God’s relationship with His creation. Baptism transforms the rainbow. Christians see it as a re-affirmation of the Faithful One who loves His creation, sent his Son to die and desires an intimate relationship with individuals.
A covenant people. That is who we are. Every time you and I see a rainbow we need to remember who we are and how awesome God is. His power, divinity, love and sovereignty come to the forefront.
If the rainbow is that beautiful, how much more is the beauty of God and the intimate life He desires with us!
In Christian love, Curtis
No comments:
Post a Comment